It’s very easy to measure up for curtains. Just follow our simple guide here
Blackout curtains have a fabric or lining that blocks out all light, while dimout usually blocks most but not all light – normally around 98%.
The key to either blackout or dimout is to use them with poles or tracks that minimize the gap between the window and the curtain. Curtains tracks are often used or you can get special curtain poles.
It depends on the fabric and construction as there is a huge variety of options for curtains. If you don’t have care instructions we would recommend dry cleaning.
Largely this is a matter of taste, but most of the time people choose one of three options:
1. Just below the window. This will be cheaper as less fabric is used. It can also be more practical if the room is busy or long curtains could pose a hazard e.g. if a room has a fireplace near a window.
2. Just off the floor. Full length curtains can make a room seem taller and they show off a beautiful fabric. Just off the floor looks neat and provides a calming focal point.
3. In a puddle on the floor. As above this shows off a beautiful fabric. Puddled fabric looks less formal and really suits linens and other natural fabrics.
The length of curtain you need depends on where you have your pole. We rate this blog on how to hang curtains from Emily Henderson
With so many options available these days, both can be practical and beautiful.
Generally curtains lend a more luxurious feel to the room, while blinds look neater and more contemporary. Curtains can also offer better thermal insulation, while blinds are generally easier to clean.
If you have a query, you can:
Call us on 02380 844714. We are available Monday to Friday from 9:00 until 17:00
Email us on email@example.com - we'll endeavour to respond to all emails within 2 working days.
Fill in the contact form on the 'Contact Us' page.
Our head offices are in Ower, on the edge of the New Forest near Southampton. It’s here that we make all of our ‘Express Net & Voile Curtains’, store all our ready made items and hardware in our warehouse, and despatch all of our made to measure orders, many of which are made in our workrooms in and around Nottingham and Derby.
Originally based in Hythe in the New Forest since 1987 our retail shop first came online in 2000.
Our virtual shop has now replaced the retail shop, and the website is now in its 5th version as it continues to grow with more and more ranges of curtains and accessories. We still operate a fast and efficient service, going direct to the work rooms wherever possible offering the very best service and value.
Our site is dedicated to everything related to net curtaining including information on measuring, help on calculating sizes and a wide selection of designs for the greatest choice. We know how important it is to get things right when furnishing your home so we have worked hard to make your experience of buying online as quick and easy as possible.
Yes you can!
Choosing the right fabric for your sheer curtains can be a big decision and it is really beneficial to colour match in the natural light of your room.
To request samples, simply add the samples to your shopping basket from the individual product page or product listing page and checkout.
You can choose up to five samples at any one time, free of charge, and delivery is just 99p.
We do have a price promise.
We frequently review our prices to ensure that we are offering the lowest priced nets and voiles in the market. In addition, we will price match full price items on our website that can be found cheaper elsewhere.
If you find a comparable product cheaper elsewhere, please contact our customer service team via the form below to take advantage of our price promise.
Terms and Conditions
- We will price match any full price items that are not included in promotions or part of a clearance sale.
- We will not price match a full price item on our own website with a discounted product on another website.
- We will only price match on competitors individual websites and not online marketplaces such as eBay or Amazon.
- Competitor’s prices need to be publicly available to all customers. For us to verify these prices, they need to be displayed on their website, or be the first price quoted to our team over the telephone. The price must apply to a new, identical individual products of the same specifications.
- The service conditions offered by the competitor must be the same as our own. This includes stock availability, delivery charges and fitting or installation if applicable.
- We will price match for up to 7 days after you have made a purchase from us.
At Net Curtains Direct we are passionate about the world we live in and are increasingly aware of the impact we have on our environment. We believe that everyone can make a difference and therefore operate in the most sustainable way that we can.
We are constantly evolving and improving the way in which we work and have complete control over our own actions and processes, but we also work with suppliers and are always pushing them to follow our lead and commit to a cleaner, greener way of working.
We are taking great steps into the anti-plastic revolution and have introduced an eco-friendly range, which includes a 100% recycled voile and multi-functional, reusable bags for life.
Being an online retailer means that we will always need to send items out to our customers in strong, protective packaging, but we do what we can to reduce the impact that our packaging has on the environment.
- Have run down our stocks of single use plastic postal bags and replaced them with bio-degradable and recycled / recyclable postal bags. This will save an average of 10,000 plastic postal bags a year.
- Are no longer putting our nets into individual plastic bags, within their postal bag. Curtains are now being folded and placed directly into their postal bag, complete with a sticker on each curtain so customers can still easily identify each part of their order. We estimate this will save somewhere in the region of 39,000 clear cellophane bags per year.
- No longer using bubble wrap in our parcels.
- Donate remnants and off cuts to beach cleaning organisations, who use the nets to collect plastic from our beaches and oceans (if you’d like more information about this please contact us).
- Re-Use our off cuts to make Re-Useable Wash Bags and to send as samples thereby reducing waste.
We encourage our suppliers to adopt our own ways of working, for example: replacing their single use plastic when sending out parcels on our behalf. We are even happy to supply them with the biodegradable bags. That’s how passionate we are about making a difference!
At head office the whole team is behind our environmental ethos and everyone is encouraged to do their bit for the planet.
- Are using 100% recycled printer paper
- Print only when absolutely necessary
- Are switching off computers and other equipment when not in use.
- Encourage everyone to walk or cycle to work where practical.
- Only have the lights on when necessary.
- Avoid single use plastic - everyone has reusable water bottles and thermal cups.
- Use bio soap and other environmentally friendly supplies, where possible.
We have lots of plans for the future and look forward to sharing them with you! If you have any questions or comments about our commitment to be a greener company, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org .
Just follow our handy guide to measuring here…
Standard UK delivery within 5 days £3.50
*Free for orders over £59
Standard UK for Non-Mainland £6.50
*Free for orders over £59
Express Tracked within 2 days £7.95
XL Surcharge (for long poles and rods) £7.50
*Orders over £59
XL Surcharge (for long poles and rods) £11
*Orders under £59
If you have any other questions on delivery, please contact the team at email@example.com
Standard European within 10 days £15.00
Standard International within 10 days £25.00
Customs and International Charges
Overseas orders may be subject to import duties and taxes which are applied when the delivery reaches that destination.
Please note, Net Curtains Direct cannot be held responsible for local customs and duty charges on any items purchased through our website. If you are ordering outside the UK, you will be responsible for paying the customs and duty that may be added on delivery of your parcel. If you are unsure of these charges, please check with customs before placing your order. We are unable to predict their amount, at this time.
Our couriers will attempt to deliver directly to the delivery address specified on your order, unless other arrangements have been made. If there is no one home to accept the delivery, the couriers may leave parcels with a neighbour or in a safe place.
· If delivery can’t be made, the courier will contact you so that you can re-book the delivery, or arrange to pick up the order from a depot or sorting office.
· If an item is returned to us because delivery cannot be made, Net Curtains Direct Limited reserves the right to charge shipping for a resend.
· We cannot be held responsible for any delivery, if an incorrect address has been put on the order.
· For Express Tracked Delivery, any parcel that has been opted to be left in a safe place or left without a signature is entirely the responsibility of the recipient. We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage to this parcel.
· Deliveries can consist of one or more parcels and could be delivered with numerous couriers.
· Delivery is to the door, and we are not responsible for any additional carrying or positioning of products ordered, unless we have agreed to a special delivery at the time of accepting your order.
· Delivery errors must be reported to us as soon as possible. (For UK orders, notification must be within 14 days of the dispatch email. After 14 days we may not be able to claim for the parcel if it is lost/stolen.).
· If you have received your parcel in poor condition, damaged or if items are missing, please keep all outer packaging so that the courier can collect the box for their investigation. Any damaged boxes must be signed for as ‘damaged’ at delivery. In addition, you may be asked to send us photos of the damaged packaging and / or product. Photographic evidence helps us ensure the issue is dealt with quickly and efficiently.
· For any international orders we do have to allow a minimum of 35 working days before an order can be declared lost or an investigation opened.
Some items may incur additional delivery charges, particularly to international destinations, due to the weight and size of the package being shipped. We may have to charge additional courier costs from time to time, but will contact you directly if this is the case. If you would like a delivery quote before placing an order please contact the team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Any item that has been custom made, made to order or cut to your required width/length is non-returnable
If you change your mind about a pre-packaged, hardware or ready-made product that has not been customised in any way we offer a very simple no quibble returns policy:
Simply post the item back to our distribution office;
RETURNS *Insert Order Number*
Net Curtains Direct
C/O Green Snow Limited
Mortimers Industrial Estate
PLEASE BE SURE:
-You post the item back to us within 14 days of receiving your order.
-The items arrive with us within 30 days of receiving your order and the order number is clearly marked on the returns parcel
-The items are returned to us in perfect condition and packed back in their original packaging so that the item is re-sellable.
-Postage labels must be attached to external packaging (i.e A mailing bag or brown paper) and not the packaging that is specific to the item as this renders it damaged and not re-sellable which may mean we cannot issue a refund.
-We recommend using a tracked service when sending items back to us
A refund may be denied if the item specific packaging is damaged or not returned to us in full.
We are sorry but no postage costs will be refunded unless and item is faulty.
You can find our guide to headings here...
Net curtains are brilliant for adding privacy; for diffusing sunlight and for dressing windows.
In some cases net or voile curtains can also help reduce heat loss and block pollen.
They are made of a semi-transparent material which allows light in, but stops direct sunlight and direct views from neighbours or passers-by looking into your room.
Traditionally available in white to maximise the light let in, they look wonderful when layered with curtains.
Don’t forget they are also available in half window heights – known as café curtains.
All Net Curtains, and the majority of our voiles are 100% polyester and because this is a man-made fibre, they can be washed and hung up to dry
Manufacturers always recommend to hand wash made to measure nets and voiles, and for the best results this will always be the recommended approach.
Most modern washing machines come with hand wash and delicate cycles with lots of control over temperature, the spin and the rinse. The advice here is a guide from our experience, but washing and caring for your curtains is ultimately your responsibility so do whatever you are most comfortable with.
The key point to remember is the better you look after your sheers, the longer they will last!
If you have any doubts on how to look after a particular fabric, please contact us for more information.
How should I hand wash my nets and voiles?
-Warm wash at a maximum of 30 degrees, with a ratio of approximately 1 part detergent to 30 parts water.
-Soak for 10-15 minutes and agitate with your hands.
-Empty the detergent and rinse in more warm water. Continue to re-rinse until the water runs clear.
-Gently wring out the curtains being careful to avoid creasing. You may wish to roll them up in a towel and then press on the towel to soak up excess water.
-Hang the curtains either at the window or on your line, ideally with as little creasing or pegging as possible.
Very delicate curtains can be washed in the bath using lukewarm water. When doing so the curtains must be completely covered by the water. Leave to soak for 10-20 minutes. Then knead the curtain around in the solution. After washing, hang the curtains while damp. Arrange the folds immediately to avoid formation of creases.
We do not recommend tumble drying your curtains as the excessive heat can destroy the delicate fibres.
If you know that you will need to wash your sheers regularly, then we would recommend a voile rather than a net as the denser weave and higher quality finish is generally harder wearing.
When we speak of gather and fullness, we are talking about the width of material in each curtain. You may notice that most window curtains do not lie flat. Traditionally nets, voiles and curtains are hung so that they fall into soft folds.
The folds, also known as 'Gather' or 'Fullness' are created by increasing your width 2x to 3x your flat window reveal size.
Gather provides greater privacy and insulation as well as for aesthetic reasons.
If you prefer a flat panel against the window, you can select 'Flat' as the gather.
If you're hanging a net or voile within the window recess, your best option is to use a curtain wire or curtain rod. Thread the wire or rod through the slot top and position it in the window.
Wires have hooks that need fitting in the window. Rods by contrast either hang on hooks or use tension to hold in place.
If you want to hand a voile above a window recess, then we would recommend a narrow 19mm curtain pole.
The difference between Net curtains and Voile curtains is in the construction.
Net Curtains are generally knitted, often with a coarse yarn and mainly in white or cream.
Voiles are woven giving a finer but more robust fabric and because of this will take a lot of embellishment, often with different coloured yarns.
There are many options if you’re not sure about net curtains.
Voiles are a different type of semi-transparent fabric that normally have a softer drape and which can come in natural fabrics as well as polyester. They also come in many colours while still remaining a sheer fabric.
Daylight blinds are semi-transparent blinds that work in place of nets. Normally of a thicker fabric they are ideal if you dislike drape and want a flat fabric for privacy.
A final option is window cling. This is great if you have an awkward shaped window. Sticking directly to the window using just water, and easy to peel off they can be cut to almost any shape.